Internet FTP publishing problems, common mistakes and errors
The software works fine on any MSWindows, from 95 osr2 to XP, Vista and 7 8 10. From the support history, we know that 100% of the Internet publishing faults are due to mistakes (either by the user or by the Web space hosting service
Here the common FTP errors / user mistakes and the suggestions about how to correct the problem!
- wrong or incorrectly typed ftp server name (= host, server, ftpserver); Solution = check, retype, ask your host. Usually the format of the name to be inserted is yourserver.com or ftp.yourserver.com
- your firewall or antivirus or antispyware software is misconfigured and blocks the program; or a hardware firewall (some routers have an internal firewall); Solution = disable or better configure
- the program can not talk with the host: if none above, then there are problems with the Internet connection or the ISP or the host; Solution = check the hardware, contact the ISP, contact the host
- wrong username (=user, identifier, userid, login) and/or password; Solution = check, retype, ask your hosting provider
- maybe the host did inadvertitly reset the parameters; Solution = ask your hosting service
- username and password are ok but the ftpserver (host) is KO, so chances are that you are actually attempting to connect to another server with a similar name because you mistyped; Solution = check, retype;
Error 550 or some other numbers 425 426 420 etc. or Access Denied
- it is likely the "Initial remote directory" is wrong
usually the initial remote directory should be set as the "web" folder, that is the folder that will be shown on the web. You may see a lot of folder, but only one may be enabled for the Web.
Typical values are:
To correct the problem, you must put the name of the correct directory/folder (possibly /public_html ) within the "initial remote directory" box of the "FTP Setup" tab of the Publishing dialog, then republish. You may attempt with all the suggestions above. It is likely one will work. Or, better, ask your host, they know the directory/folder name as it is their choice. We do not know your host settings.
No errors but it can't start
- some WiFi accesses and some public libraries do block the FTP service: use another connection
- some connections and firewalls do require that "passive" (in the Setup / Configuration tab) is checked; try to check it
No errors but the site doesn't show correctly
- it is likely the "Initial remote directory" is wrong,
Solution = see above the instructions for error 550
- there are problems with pre-existing content. The existing content (if initial remote directory is OK) is shown on the right side of the publishing dialog. You may delete it: select then press the DEL key on the keyboard
The publishing process interrupts or Error 331 or some other numbers or it just stalls
- maybe your server is experiencing a temporary overload. Just press the moving "Stop!" button and wait until it stops. Then press the big "Publish" button and it will continue the publishing (without restarting). If this error persists, you can try to enable/disable the "passive" setting: sometimes this fixes. Or you can also try to connect with another ISP / carrier, or try at another time of the day, or... find a less cheap hosting service
The trial sometimes forgets the parameters or is annoying
- this is a limitation of the trial. Please purchase
It is really simple to create a Web site or a CD with HyperPublish.
Save time, get it now:
Available as electronic edition (download) and also on CD on request.
professional software for great people!